During the event, industry professionals spoke to college students about five key skills needed for a successful career. Professionals included Lead Designer Chris Loringer, O3 World; Account Management and Marketing Executive Paige Albers, Digitas Health; Global Business Development Manager Julie Paretchan, SEER Interactive; President Marci Hackel, First Place Career Solutions; and Social Media Director Kristen Kane, Kane Partners.
I listened closely and wrote copious notes as the professionals each offered five tips for success, based on their personal experiences.
And — the results are in — here are 26-proven tips to help you boost your personal brand and blaze your career trail:
A creative’s advice on setting yourself apart from the competition:
- Just being good at your job isn’t enough anymore.
- Make yourself useful (and start right away).
- Put yourself in uncomfortable situations.
- Prepare for big moments.
- Create a work/life balance
- Bonus tip: Enjoy it (your job and your life)!
An account manager’s advice on relationship building:
- Be a strategic thinker.
- Be collaborative.
- Be proactive.
- Be a time-management wizard.
- Be willing.
- Research and understand company culture
- Build trust.
- Position yourself as a thought leader.
- Distinguish your personal and professional brand.
- Show passion and enthusiasm.
A president’s advice on realizing opportunities and potential:
- Get involved.
- Gain experience.
- Add value.
A social strategist’s advice on using LinkedIn to your advantage and showcasing your skills:
- Practice SEO (Search Engine Optimization).
- Customize your profile.
- Avoid common mistakes and pitfalls.
- Join groups.
- Search and expand your network.
Use these tips as a road map to help guide you through your internship or career search.